Re: [VE][108] rel="

From: Jukka K. Korpela <jkorpela@cs.tut.fi>
Date: Fri, 17 Jul 2009 21:45:09 +0300
To: "Adam Schoepp" <enigmakahn@gmail.com>
Cc: <www-validator@w3.org>
David Dorward wrote:

>> Line 73, Column 13: Attribute "REL" is not a valid attribute. Did you
>> mean "rel"?
- -
> It is right, there is no rel attribute for li elements.

Well, it is right in that sense, but the question 'Did you mean "rel"?' is
just absurd, misleading, and a spectacular failure in trying to be helpful -
especially since in this case, as so often, the actual spelling in the
document _is_ in lowercase.

I think this "feature" of the validator should be removed immediately.
Later, if you find it worthwhile to do some real heuristics, you could add
it in a form that does not cause more trouble than help (e.g., suggesting a
lowercase spelling only when the actual spelling is not lowercase and
lowercasing would make the element or attribute conform to the DTD).

--
Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/