Re: Two different results received for the same code

On Mon, Jan 19, 2009 at 09:48:15PM -0800, Gerald Salvatore wrote:
> I receive different responses from W3C's validation service
> depending on which method I choose to validate my HTML code.

Browsers handle encodings of text submitted through forms using
textareas and file inputs differently.

The raw file doesn't include any encoding information, so the
validator has to guess. It tells you this when you try to validate,
and it links to FAQs which explain what to do about it.

> I have attached the file I am validating. Please let me know which
> results are the ones I should consider correct. I am an online
> student at the University of Phoenix, and your results as affecting
> my grades.?My instructor, who?is checking my work by using your
> "Validate by File Upload" method,?receives 2 warning messages on my
> HTML code, and is penalizing me points based on these results.?  ?

I would hope that he could provide support in helping you understand
the FAQ if it was a problem (and that he isn't penalising you for "Not
satisfying the tool" rather then for the actual issues).

(Please direct responses to the www-validator mailing list, and not
directly to me. Thanks.)

--
David Dorward
http://dorward.me.uk/