Re: checklink: ideas for next version

On Fri, Jan 2, 2009 at 10:28 PM, olivier Thereaux <ot@w3.org> wrote:
> On the other-other hand (if you are an octopus) we are limited in some ways
> by those perl libraries: the RobotUA module is why we can't have wait time
> under 1s between links, integration of parallelUA has been a hurdle noone
> passed, etc. Switching to another language might get us out of these issues
> (and create others).

The problems with (all) these tools has very rarely been technical as
such, but rather available Round Tuits among the contributors. That
is, reimplementing in a new language that happens to have some
desirable property (mindshare, a useful lib, etc.) only makes sense if
its net effect is an increase in available Round Tuits, otherwise the
cost vs. benefit just doesn't add up (to a positive value). The one
obvious exception to that rule (of thumb) is the Jigsaw mess for the
CSS Checker (and possibly its Java-ish implementation, but I'd need to
check closer to be adamant) which is an active hurtle to contributors
and users which would be removed or at least lessened by a
port/reimplementation for Apache (did anybody tackle that yet?).

Anyways, Happy New Year everyone! :-)

-link