Re: File upload problems

From: William [Bill] Clelland <billybob3@thevine.net>
Date: Fri, 6 Feb 2009 05:37:38 -0800
To: <www-validator@w3.org>
I am using Firefox for virtually everything; version 3 as soon as it came out, now updated to 3.0.6.  My uploads were doing fine.  HOWEVER, just now I did the first validation attempt since some time ago, AND in the meantime, I installed XP service pack 3.  Contrary to complaints to PC WORLD magazine some months ago, it seemed to install fine, on two DELL computers: my first one (brand new in 2004) s/n DCR69481, and a refurbished return-from-lease DELL  (it's in another location and I haven't got the number easily).
HOWEVER, now I get errors on all my files, saying the file was treated as HTML 4.01 but there was no DOCTYPE.  If I paste in the markup to the direct input window, they all are perfect validation in XHTML 1.0 transitional.
Circumstantial evidence says that SP3 is trashing the file upload worse than SP2, and this is with Firefox.
Bill
William Clelland III
www.wrclellandjr.com