validator broken for http://www.google.co.uk/

From: Sam Mason <sam@samason.me.uk>
Date: Sat, 8 Aug 2009 12:53:19 +0100
To: www-validator@w3.org
Hi,

Just tried validating google's homepage to see what would come back and
something seems horribly broken.  It's detecting it as HTML5, yet when
if I grab it with wget I get a very strange looking doctype:

  <!doctype html>

When I force it to 4 strict, I get even stranger things happening.  I
get errors like:

  Error  Line 7, Column 741: Attribute "BGCOLOR" is not a valid attribute. Did you mean "bgcolor"?

yet the code it highlights has a lowercase bgcolor:

  ?alse};</script></head><body bgcolor=#ffffff text=#000000 link=#0000cc vlink=#

It's obviously missing quotes, but why is the attributes case being
complained about?

Not quite sure what's going on, or am I missing something obvious?

--
  Sam  http://samason.me.uk/