Re: Add Subject Here - Validator icon / W3C logo

From: Rui del-Negro <w3validator@dvd-hq.info>
Date: Tue, 09 Sep 2008 05:07:34 +0100
To: "Srdanov Ivan" <srdanov.ivan@gmail.com>
Cc: www-validator@w3.org

> I am building a website, and my HTML validates properly.
> But I'm interested can I change the valid img into grayscale ('cause my
> page is black/white/gray colored) ?
> I have attached grayscaled img, and would prefer to do the same for CSS
> valid img, if that is not a problem :)

Officially, no, you can't. If you want to use the actual W3C logo (the
left part of the icon), you cannot change it.

If you search for "change w3c icon" on Google:

You get this as the first result:

So, if you want to use the W3C logo, you have to keep the original colour.
Now, I don't think there's anything in the guidelines preventing you from
using the W3C _logo_ and creating a different _icon_ (ex., the original
W3C logo and then a black and white part saying "Valid CSS"). You just
can't (according to the validator icon guidelines) create "derivative

In other words, you can't use the same icon and just change the colour,
but I think you can create a new icon from scratch, even if it uses the
_original_ W3C logo.

But since you want the icon to be all in grayscale, it's probably simpler
to just create a completely new icon, saying "Valid HTML" / "Valid CSS"
(without the W3C logo) and use those as the links.