Re: Local installation does not find all erros

Hi Amir,

On 28-Oct-08, at 8:54 PM, Amir Mohammadkhani wrote:
> first off, let me say thanks for this great program. I've been using
> a local installation of the validator for over 2 years now.

Cool! Always nice to hear from people who installed the tool locally.

> I noticed something strange last week after using the official
> validator (local one would timeout). I would give me errors where
> the local one wouldnt.
> So I proceeded to update the validator and made sure I have openSP
> 1.5.2 as well. I've first updated CPAN and then installed the
> validator bundle with it.
> Checked every step of the installation process again and again.
>
> It works fine, it does show some errors but does ignore others. For
> one of my sites (http://www.tarifchecks.de/) the local version says
> its Valid XHTML
> but when using validator.w3.org I get the following errors:
>
> Line 66, Column 25: there is no attribute "alt".
> Line 67, Column 253: there is no attribute "border".
> Line 80, Column 113: there is no attribute "target".
> Line 118, Column 70: required attribute "alt" not specified.
>
> http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.tarifchecks.de&debug=1

This is strange indeed, I don't think I've seen this problem before,
or if it's been reported before, I can't remember. Does this ring a
bell for anyone else?

A couple of things I would double check:
- do you have the sgml-lib installed properly?
- is the problem transient, intermittent or has it been permanent? In
the former case, it could be that your validator has been making too
many requests to the DTDs served from w3.org and it's being blocked
access - try accessing, from the same machine, one DTD such as
http://www.w3.org/MarkUp/DTD/xhtml-basic11.cat

HTH,
--
olivier