Re: checklink: Error: 406 not acceptable

Cindy Sue Causey wrote:

>> e.g. http://www.minimarcos.org.uk/links/marcos.html
[...]
> Tried to run it through from here.. I'm getting this now:
>
> Error: 500 Can't connect to minimarcos.org.uk:80 (Bad hostname
> 'minimarcos.org.uk')
>
> Oh, that was when I tried dropping the "www" in front of it because
> that received the same error message initially..

Using the W3C markup validator, I get the 500 response for the URL
specified in the original question. There is something odd with the
server.

> Re your original error message received, I found this:
>
> www.w3.org/Protocols/rfc2616/rfc2616-sec10.html#sec10.4.7

The HTTP protocol indeed defines what the error code 406 means.
Typically it results from misconfigured language negotiation. In
general, the server tries to find a resource that matches the request
headers, and when that fails, 406 error is issued and it should be
accompanied with some explanation. But this might also result from some
misconfiguration.

The Lynx browser gets the 406 response, too.

Jukka K. Korpela ("Yucca")
http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/