Re: "snapshot" XHTML DTD for all current modules?

On 5-May-08, at 9:18 PM, Frank Ellermann wrote:
> Hard to tell, because I don't get the idea, is that about
> mixing namespaces not covered in any DOCTYPE ?  Editors
> using XHTML would normally also use a DOCTYPE.

Generally true, although I've seen my share of doctypeless xhtml, well
formed and all. Worse(?) perhaps is the current observed trend of
sites using an XHTML 1.0 doctype, but adding features from ARIA, RDFa
or other interesting modules.

We all know how DTDs are not very compatible with ideas of
extensibility, but it seems a pity that there is not, at this point,
any way to either:
- declare a doctype that allows one to mix those features
or
- not declare any doctype at all, but have the xmlns place the
document in the xhtml namespace.

As far as checking tools are concerned: I would like a way for a tool
to say “your document (may not be strictly conforming foo but it) is
properly using mixed features from the XHTML family.”

--
olivier Thereaux - W3C
W3C Open Source Software: