"snapshot" XHTML DTD for all current modules?

From: olivier Thereaux <ot@w3.org>
Date: Mon, 5 May 2008 14:36:55 +0900
To: mark.birbeck@webBackplane.com, Shane McCarron <shane@aptest.com>
Cc: W3C Validator Community <www-validator@w3.org>

Hello, Mark, Shane, all.

In the process of making it easier for authors of XHTML to check their
work, we've been looking at one specific type of document: XHTML
documents not sporting a Doctype Declaration, but declaring the proper
xhtml ns at their root element.

Something like:
http://qa-dev.w3.org/wmvs/HEAD/dev/tests/xhtml1-missing-doctype-has-xmlns.xhtml

Since the specifications for XHTML all require the presence of a
doctype declaration for the document to be "strictly conforming" XHTML
(1.0, 1.1, etc) such a document can not be "strictly conforming". Fair
enough. But tools could still check it.

One idea that we had, was to build a DTD (and maybe an rng schema and
xml schema too, why not) describing a "snapshot" of the aggregation of
most known modules for XHTML.

Such a DTD could be interesting in itself. At this point in time, I am
not aware of a DTD-friendly way of checking an XHTML document that
uses both the features of ARIA and RDFa, for example.

Also, in the context of checking a document with the xhtml ns but no
doctype, it would allow a tool to tell for sure if the document strays
or not from the "xhtml realm".

Do you think:
*  it is a good idea?
*  you could provide some help in building such a snapshot DTD?
*  there would be a way to build this DTD in a way that allows easy
addition of new modules?
   (my knowledge of modular xhtml is limited, so this may be a stupid
question)

Any help or feedback from the the X(HT)ML/SGML experts on this list
would also be much welcome.

Thank you,
olivier