Re: summary page

One thing I have always wondered is why more tools don't simply move
to XHTML. The thinking here is that, since XML is being used, it is
much easier to a tool to self-validate, since your document must not
break XML syntax, especially if it is using an XML engine, and can
also be compared against a style sheet. Additionally the CDATA
sections means that certain content, such as Javascript does not need
to be escaped in all instances. In saying this I am not saying that
XHTML is better than HTML, just that it is more suited to machine
parsing for the point mentioned above.

If you are interested in web validation statistics you may be
interested in:

http://nikitathespider.com/

As to adding the statistics to the W3 page, I wonder whether it would
change the attitude much of web tools. I suspect it would more incite
the developers to make the result page to go anonymous about the
creation engine, than improve the engine itself (I am cynical). Also,
how do you make the difference between a page that was not tweaked by
someone after it did a first pass through the editor and one that was
not? Lastly, are people using tools such as Dreamweaver or Front Page
going bother validating their page - they might well do, but I imagine
them being in the minority.

Andre