Re: "Unable to Determine Parse Mode" warning given when inappropriate

From: Eugene Reimer <ereimer@shaw.ca>
Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2008 16:51:20 -0500
To: olivier Thereaux <ot@w3.org>
Cc: www-validator@w3.org

olivier Thereaux wrote, On 2008-03-27 13:37:

> I don't think that's a good idea. This warning can be very useful for
> people who may have made a typo in "writing down" their doctype, and
> these are, AFAIK, more frequent and more clueless than people
> crafting  their custom DTD but not complaining about subsequent warning.

I was surprised by your "typo" argument, but experiments show (to my
surprise) that one can indeed get that same warning message and nothing
else for specifying a non-existent DTD.  Therefore my suggestion needs
to be amended.  I would suggest that specifying a non-existent DTD
result in a different message, one that says so.  In the case of a
custom, but existent, DTD, that's where I'm suggesting that message be
suppressed.