Re: Missing attribute in a <script> element (Was: Re: [VE][127] Add Subject Here)

Am 13.06.2008 um 16:17 schrieb David Dorward:

> The vast majority of users would react to that with "What's IE? I
> just click the blue Internet button", "Well it works, so I'm not
> going to put any effort into changing." or "I can't change browser".

All is a matter of communication. :-)
If you don't communicate, than you never will change *any*thing.

This book title describes it. :-)
http://www.amazon.com/Dont-Click-Blue-Switching-Firefox/dp/0596009399/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books-intl-de&qid=1213367699&sr=8-2

> Because about 80% of customers use it. That's four out of five
> visitors. Or "a vast majority".
>
> The ONLY practical difference between type="application/javascript"
> and type="text/javascript", which is what started this off, is that
> IE will ignore script elements using the former.
>
> Why lock them out? It just makes me look bad in their eyes.

You don't need to, if you happen to use generated content (SSI, PHP,
JSP, ...). There you can serve an apropriate mimetype dependend on the
asking client, e.g. "application/javascript" for all browsers/clients,
who are capable of that mimetype and "text/javascript" for the rest,
which only is capable of that mimetype. That does function, i tried
it, i do it. :-)
It's the same with the mimetypes for XHTML content: serv "application/
xhtml+xml" for all full XHTML capable browsers, and serve "text/html"
for that browsers, who don't understand the recommended "application/
xhtml+xml". Appropriate chosen doctype assumed. That does function
either, it is practised in the web by many website owners and
webmasters. :-)

Sierk
--
Sierk Bornemann