getting "end tag for "ul" which is not finished" for white space? ul tag closes on next line

From: Brian Achille <summaestudio@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 4 Jun 2008 10:22:23 -0400
To: www-validator@w3.org
 I tried validating http://summaestudio.com and got this message:

        Line 218, Column 32:         end tag for "ul" which is not finished.

                                               <ul id="recentcomments"></ul>

In viewing the source code, 218 comes up as a blank line, with </ul>
following on the next line, so no error I can see there.

In looking at line 222, which matches the text given above, the closing
</ul> indeed has the >. and so no error there.

I'm therefore quite clueless as to why I am getting this error message, so
any suggestions would help.

Thank you for your time.

*
*