Re: Example minimal HTML 3.2 document from HTML 3.2 specification does not validate

From: Jukka K. Korpela <jkorpela@cs.tut.fi>
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2008 18:32:30 +0300
To: <www-validator@w3.org>

Benjamin Hawkes-Lewis wrote:

> Jukka K. Korpela wrote:
>> My SGML is rusty, but I think the problem here is that the missing
>> start and end tags cannot be inferred when the element content is
>> empty.
>
> If true, would this imply this is an error in the specification of
> 3.2?

Indeed; the example minimal HTML 3.2 document is not valid (and the
validator is correct in reporting this).

I finally found the definitive statement. "The SGML Handbook" quotes, on
p. 310, the SGML standard, saying that a start tag may be omitted under
certain conditions only, and  these include the condition that "the
content of the instance of the element is not empty".

Jukka K. Korpela ("Yucca")
http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/