Re: Batch Job Processing [Local Install]

Dear Shadi,

On Jan 7, 2008, at 21:00 , Shadi Almosri wrote:
> I have successfully installed the validator locally on our Windows
> Servers, but unfortunately i still don't know how to send batch jobs
> to the validator and how it handles them? can anyone shed some light
> on this or point me in the right direction as i haven't been able to
> find any documentation regarding this.

Good to hear you have successfully installed the validator on your
local network.

 From there on, you have (basically) two possibilities to run the
validator in batch.
1) create a batch script
  this is not necessarily difficult, if you have a list of online
documents to check, you can create a script that:
   - loops on the documents
   - accesses the local validator and fetches results
   - gathers and presents all these results

The validator has an API and SOAP output that can be used for this
purpose, see:
http://validator.w3.org/docs/api.html

2) use existing software. There are a number of software and libraries
that can be used to access the validator programmatically.

  -> perl and php library
         http://validator.w3.org/docs/api.html#libs

  -> W3C created and uses a program called "log validator", which can
be used to call the markup validator in batch processes. If you plug
the logvalidator to server logs, it can also list the most popular
documents that need fixing, an interesting feature if you want to
clean up an existing site little by little.
         http://www.w3.org/QA/Tools/LogValidator/

There are probably other similar software or services available on the
web, although I don't know if they can be interfaced to your local
validator instance.

Hope this helps.
olivier
--