Re: checklink: ideas for next version

From: olivier Thereaux <ot@w3.org>
Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2008 13:48:50 -0500
Cc: "www-validator Community" <www-validator@w3.org>, "Ville Skyttä" <ville.skytta@iki.fi>
To: Brett Bieber <brett.bieber@gmail.com>

Hi Brett,

On 19-Dec-08, at 10:53 AM, Brett Bieber wrote:
> I haven't had time to code anything working, but I did manage to get
> a checkout of the perl lib and I'll get it running from cvs here
> shortly so I can actually get something done.

awesome, tell me the name of the methods as soon as you have
something, I can take care of the perl side if you like.

> About 2 seconds after I sent that message I realized maybe I should
> be thinking about this at a lot higher level... and that I should
> have examined Ville's js before responding.  :-)
>
> Now I'm thinking something like:
>
> w3_linkcheck.addLink(link)
> w3_linkcheck.updateLinkStatus(link, status, message)

Right, I recall that Ville's code was indeed changing the cells' text
and class on the fly, which is nice. Also +1 for appending nodes
rather than document.write()…

> Inside the methods we can handle the details of translating the link
> to an id using the same method Ville uses (md5 and prepend with L or
> S for link or status), inside we could set the appropriate status
> class to the cell in the corresponding row: class="status_200"
> class="status_301".. have the perl script output the messages
> directly in the js, or figure out a more complex way of handling the
> messages so the size isn't inflated too big.
>
> On the right path now?

Sounds good. I don't know if Ville is around to comment, but I think
it's safe to get started on this path.

cheers,
--
olivier