Re: validator.w3.org and XHTML

From: David Dorward <david@dorward.me.uk>
Date: Mon, 08 Dec 2008 16:40:42 +0000
To: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>
CC: Shane McCarron <shane@aptest.com>, olivier Thereaux <ot@w3.org>, www-validator Community <www-validator@w3.org>

Anne van Kesteren wrote:
> That seems like a separate issue unless you think there is no problem
> if the validator gets text/html content that contains <title/> instead
> of <title></title>.
I suspect the theoretical case Shane mentioned is this:

One XHTML document, its a bit rubbish since it has no title (just <title/>).

Validator comes along, gets the XHTML as application/xhtml+xml.

All valid, and HTML compatibility not a consideration (since it isn't
text/html).

Along comes Internet Explorer and the same document is served up as
text/html because the admin has detected to use User Agent sniffing.