Re: validator.w3.org and XHTML

From: Shane McCarron <shane@aptest.com>
Date: Mon, 08 Dec 2008 10:25:03 -0600
To: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>
CC: olivier Thereaux <ot@w3.org>, David Dorward <david@dorward.me.uk>, www-validator Community <www-validator@w3.org>

Because in many cases, including the cases that the NOTE is targeted at,
the server delivers content based upon the capabilities of the client.
Unless there is a way to have the validator masquerade as various types
of clients, then it will necessarily not see the content delivered in
the way the author intended.  For example, if I had a way to tell the
validator "look like IE and validate this page" then it would get
text/html back from my server and act accordingly.  If I could also say
"look like Opera and validate this page" then it would get
application/xhtml+xml and act accordingly.  I don't think I can do that
now.