Re: More transparency concerning "Missing xmlns attribute for element html" or [VE][no-xmlns]

From: Ian Stuart <Ian.Stuart@ed.ac.uk>
Date: Sat, 16 Aug 2008 09:30:56 +0100
To: www-validator@w3.org

doug shults wrote:
> Can someone please explain what this means. I read and re-read the
> string below but I'm still confused. I tried to change the char-set
> from ASII to UTF-8, and thought this would get rid of the error. I
> just want the error to go away. Is there a new xtml release from the
> w3 I need to reference? I don't get it...
There are two parts to this question:

1) What is namespaces & why do I need them?
2) How does this affect my web documents?

For (1), http://lucas.ucs.ed.ac.uk/tutorials/namespaces/ may explain the
general details.

For (2), I just always have

as "the magic incantation" as the html element

(likewise, I *remove* the

          xml:lang="en" lang="en"

attribute from the same element, as they throw IE6 into "quirks mode"