RE: Local Validator in XP - If no one has any suggestions I am going to give up

One final attempt - before I give up

I know that the 'use Encode::JIS2K' generates an error and I have this
commented out. I used this, without commenting it out, as a 'debug' tool

Placing this line before "use SGML::Parser::OpenSP      qw();"
generates the expected JIS2k error
placing it after "use SGML::Parser::OpenSP      qw();"
generates

Can't load 'D:/perl/site/lib/auto/SGML/Parser/OpenSP/OpenSP.dll' for module
SGML::Parser::OpenSP: load_file:The specified module could not be found at
D:/perl/site/lib/XSLoader.pm line 64. at
D:/perl/site/lib/SGML/Parser/OpenSP.pm line 18

Other than this being a windows system so / should be \
'D:/perl/site/lib/auto/SGML/Parser/OpenSP/OpenSP.dll' exists

Line 18 in OpenSP.pm is
XSLoader::load('SGML::Parser::OpenSP', $VERSION);
And $VERSION is defined in line 15 as
our $VERSION = '0.99';

A comment next to lin64 is XSLoader says
    # Many dynamic extension loading problems will appear to come from
    # this section of code: XYZ failed at line 123 of DynaLoader.pm.
    # Often these errors are actually occurring in the initialisation
    # C code of the extension XS file. Perl reports the error as being
    # in this perl code simply because this was the last perl code
    # it executed.

SO - what exactly is going wrong?
What is it that XSLoader cannot load?

Or per the comment is this a red herring - if so what do I do next?

?do I need to do anything about OpenSP version 0.99 or 1.5.2?

http://validator.w3.org/docs/install.html says
The SGML parser we're currently using is OpenSP 1.5.2, which can be found on
the OpenJade home page. Note that the validator will not work with any
version of OpenSP earlier than 1.5.2.

It also says
The only current exception is SGML::Parser::OpenSP, for which at this point
in time the development version of the validator requires a not-yet-released
version, which can be downloaded and installed from SourceForge. First make
sure to have OpenSP installed, then get the latest revision of the source
code for SGML::Parser::OpenSP from CVS, and follow these installation steps,
as root:

perl Makefile.PL
make
make test
make install
This should give you a working SGML::Parser::OpenSP. Just then proceed to
install the other required perl modules through CPAN.

(I have downloaded nmake for make on windows into the perl/bin folder, but
no clues are given as to where to put/unzip the 1..5.2 source file after
download before 'make' is run!!!)

However the "... packed  ready-to-install <a
href="http://www.myhpi.de/~dtibbe/download/ppm.zip">in a single
zip-file</a>, (courtesy of the guide's author)." As indicated in
http://validator.w3.org/docs/install_win.html includes OpenSP
and examining the SGML-Parser-OpenSP.tar.gz I find it contains 'osp152.dll'

Allan Smith
Webmanager

Support Telford Steam Railway for free when shopping online with over 400
brand-name retailers including:-
 Amazon, NEXT, M&S, John Lewis, Debenhams, HMV, The Body Shop, Vodafone,
DELL, Woolworths, PLAY.com, Interflora and Comet amongst many others...
TSR Easyfundraisning