Validator has become case-sensitive to the MEAT tag param CHARSET

From: Rick Bogart <rick@sun.Stanford.EDU>
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2007 10:48:05 -0700
To: www-validator@w3.org

The validator has evidently become case-sensitive to the parameter tag
"CHARSET" in the <META> content label sometime in the last few months.
Pages with tags like the following:

<META HTTP-EQUIV="Content-Type" CONTENT="text/html; CHARSET=iso-8859-1">

that formerly validated with automatic detection of encoding now fail.
The only way to get them to validate (other than provisionally with a
set encoding) is to change the above to:

I have seen several messages go through on this topic, and it appears
that the "CHARSET=" tag is not supposed to be case-sensitive. It is
particularly odd because I can change the case of the other tag values
and everything is fine:

<META HTTP-EQUIV="CONTENT-TYPE" CONTENT="TEXT/HTML charset=ISO-8859-1">

validates with no problem; only the term "charset" is case-sensitive!
Is this going to be fixed, or do I have to change all my META tags to
get their pages to validate? Thanks,

	-rick bogart