Re: Feedback wanted: revalidate forms for direct input and file upload

Hi Brett, Hi all,

On Sep 14, 2007, at 23:37 , Brett Bieber wrote:
> In thinking this through a little more - I think the ultimate solution
> would be to provide the tabbed interface again on the results page.
> Right now we show a form again for re-validating, pre-populated with
> your selections, but positioning of the form inputs is different, and
> it is limited to the method you chose originally. Without adding too
> many pixels and moving the results down the page further, I think the
> tabbed interface could be shown again (prepopulated with defaults,
> encoding and doctype, and a results header). Then we can give them the
> same interface they started with.

This is a good idea, I agree with you, not one that we can implement
in a fingersnap, but worth thinking of nevertheless.

Two issues we'd have to figure out:

* options we can pre-fill, but not doctype and charset.
The detected doctype and charset must be reported, but this shouldn't
be done by pre-setting the option in the drop down menu. Why? because:
  - the doctype or charset might not even be in the drop-down
  - setting the drop down to the existing value makes the document
"tentatively" valid

* we'd have to think hard about making sure that there is no
confusion between the information from the validation and the UI.

> This would be a major change I wouldn't want to undertake without
> major support from Olivier et-al and I'm not sure I could even handle
> that large of a change myself --- and definitely not by 0.8.2 so
> perhaps a future enhancement if users thought this was a good
> direction to go?

Agreed, not for 0.8.2, which I think I'd like to freeze and release
ASAP anyway. But we can start working on  mockups for a future version.

thanks
--
olivier