Re: Result from url validation and direct input completely different

From: Karl Dubost <karl@w3.org>
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2007 09:23:13 +0900
Cc: <www-validator@w3.org>, <kate.mccauley@videotron.ca>
To: Kate <kate@microbytes.com>

Hi kate,

Kate (8 sept. 2007 - 04:19) :
> www.microbytes.com/computer/ordinateur/index.php">
In the example you are giving, and that makes you confused.
Reaching the home page of the domain name of Mycrobites gives a
meaningless HTML page with the sole purpose of redirecting to the new
ones.

http://www.microbytes.com/
    -> http://www.microbytes.com/computer/ordinateur/index.php

This is an old very bad practice of webmasters. The HTTP server of
your Web site is Apache.  It seems that all your Web site is under
"computer/ordinateur/" I guess a directory tree on the server machine.

I would encourage you to fix the DocumentRoot
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.0/mod/core.html#documentroot

There must be a line in your httpd.conf which looks like

<VirtualHost *.*.*.*>
         DocumentRoot /some/path/here
         ServerName www.microbytes.com

Replace it by something appropriate

<VirtualHost *.*.*.*>
         DocumentRoot /some/path/computer/ordinateur/
         ServerName www.microbytes.com

And as Nick Kew said, specify

	DirectoryIndex index.html, index.php, index.htm

Best Regards.

   QA Weblog - http://www.w3.org/QA/
      *** Be Strict To Be Cool ***