Re: XHTML 1.1 validation accepts additional content

> On Tue, 04 Sep 2007 02:23:57 +0100, olivier Thereaux <ot@w3.org> wrote:
>
> Well, at least as far as I can tell there is no way to "inject" a link,
> just some text, and yes, that text can be as stupid as humanity allows
> it, that is, infinitely.
>
> I'm not sure what to do with your "bug" report here. It feels as though
> its use will be mostly to give bad ideas to idiots, and as far as
> "fixing" the validator is concerned, I'm not sure what to do. Maybe we
> could limit the length of the string that is displayed...
>
> Any idea from everyone on the list?

I don't think that the kind of people likely to recognise "W3C" as a
"source of authority" will fall for this kind of trick.

Having said that, maybe the header that says:

  This page is not valid [X].

Could say:

  This page does not validate (using doctype "[X]").

Or something along those lines. In other words, avoid making the doctype
appear as part of the sentence.

RMN
~~~