Re: Understanding Web vs. SOAP Output Groupings

From: olivier Thereaux <ot@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2007 10:07:45 +0900
Cc: www-validator@w3.org
To: Chris. <chris.forummail@swankinnovations.com>

On Oct 16, 2007, at 23:12 , Chris. wrote:
> In another post, we have been discussing suggestions to the SOAP
> API and I've
> realized that I have a major misunderstanding with how the Web and
> SOAP APIs
> organize issues.

... or that the SOAP output is still maturing and not all of it makes
sense yet.

> In the SOAP world, there are just two types of issues - warnings
> and errors
> (though we'd like access to the 'info' elements too).

The info messages don't make sense out of a linear context - they
would generally refer to another message.

> In the Web world, though, there are the same three types of issues
> but also
> major groupings called "Potential Issues" and "Validation Output".

> Can someone explain to me the difference between, say, a warning that
> belongs to the "Potential Issues" category vs. one grouped in the
> "Validation Output" category?

Potential issues is just a user-friendly wording for "all the
problems that were found before validation proper even started".
Hence, no line/column number.

In the html output, the group= parameter (List Messages
Sequentially / Group Error Messages by type - in the options) have an
effect, but not (yet) in the soap output. I'm preparing a proposal to
remedy to this, please review it, as it may be a solution to some of
your issues.

--
olivier