Understanding Web vs. SOAP Output Groupings

From: Chris. <chris.forummail@swankinnovations.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2007 07:12:25 -0700 (PDT)
To: www-validator@w3.org

In another post, we have been discussing suggestions to the SOAP API and I've
realized that I have a major misunderstanding with how the Web and SOAP APIs
organize issues.

In the SOAP world, there are just two types of issues - warnings and errors
(though we'd like access to the 'info' elements too).

In the Web world, though, there are the same three types of issues but also
major groupings called "Potential Issues" and "Validation Output".

Can someone explain to me the difference between, say, a warning that
belongs to the "Potential Issues" category vs. one grouped in the
"Validation Output" category?

Also, it seems like elements in the "Potential Issues" category never have
line or column numbers -- perhaps they're more global in nature?

-Chris