Re: can't check this doc.

On Sunday 25 November 2007, Jukka K. Korpela wrote:
> Daniel Talbot wrote:
> > How come I cannot check this document
> > http://home.comcast.net/~daniels_orchids/  I get an error  ( 301
> > Moved Permanently )when I try to check it.
>
> The error message is somewhat misleading, since there is nothing wrong
> with a 301 redirection per se. The problem is that due to server
> misconfiguration, the 301 response redirects to the same URL, causing an
> infinite loop, as you can see e.g. by checking the response headers
> using the http://web-sniffer.net service.
>
> I suppose this is a rare error condition, so it's not particularly
> important how it is handled. Ideally, the validator should report that
> the resource cannot be retrieved due to self-referencing redirection,
> but I'm not sure whether this would really help.

Anyway, since a few weeks ago, the development version does print out
libwww-perl's warning messages (if any) when retrieving a document fails,
which among other things do contain information (albeit pretty low level and
technical) about this particular case:

http://qa-dev.w3.org/wmvs/HEAD/check?uri=http%3A%2F%2Fhome.comcast.net%2F%7Edaniels_orchids%2F&charset=%28detect+automatically%29&doctype=Inline&group=0

"
I got the following unexpected response when trying to retrieve
<http://home.comcast.net/~daniels_orchids/>:

    301 Moved Permanently

More information about why this is happening may be available from warnings
reported by the validator's HTTP (and other protocol) client library:

    Redirect loop detected (max_redirect = 7)
"