Re: can't check this doc.

From: Ville Skyttä <ville.skytta@iki.fi>
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2007 01:07:04 +0200
To: www-validator@w3.org

On Sunday 25 November 2007, Jukka K. Korpela wrote:
> Daniel Talbot wrote:
> > How come I cannot check this document
> > http://home.comcast.net/~daniels_orchids/  I get an error  ( 301
> > Moved Permanently )when I try to check it.
> The error message is somewhat misleading, since there is nothing wrong
> with a 301 redirection per se. The problem is that due to server
> misconfiguration, the 301 response redirects to the same URL, causing an
> infinite loop, as you can see e.g. by checking the response headers
> using the http://web-sniffer.net service.
> I suppose this is a rare error condition, so it's not particularly
> important how it is handled. Ideally, the validator should report that
> the resource cannot be retrieved due to self-referencing redirection,
> but I'm not sure whether this would really help.

Anyway, since a few weeks ago, the development version does print out
libwww-perl's warning messages (if any) when retrieving a document fails,
which among other things do contain information (albeit pretty low level and
technical) about this particular case:

I got the following unexpected response when trying to retrieve

    301 Moved Permanently

More information about why this is happening may be available from warnings
reported by the validator's HTTP (and other protocol) client library:

    Redirect loop detected (max_redirect = 7)