Re: can't check this doc.

Daniel Talbot wrote:

> How come I cannot check this document
> http://home.comcast.net/~daniels_orchids/  I get an error  ( 301
> Moved Permanently )when I try to check it.

The error message is somewhat misleading, since there is nothing wrong
with a 301 redirection per se. The problem is that due to server
misconfiguration, the 301 response redirects to the same URL, causing an
infinite loop, as you can see e.g. by checking the response headers
using the http://web-sniffer.net service.

I suppose this is a rare error condition, so it's not particularly
important how it is handled. Ideally, the validator should report that
the resource cannot be retrieved due to self-referencing redirection,
but I'm not sure whether this would really help.

It's not evident from HTTP specifications how a self-referencing
redirect should be handled.

Jukka K. Korpela ("Yucca")
http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/