Re: Meta Character Encoding Not Detected

On Nov 20, 2007 11:35 AM, Email Reply <email_reply0234@mercysoftware.com>
wrote:

>  If I validate by Direct Input and paste the following code into the
> validator:

> <head>
> <title>test</title>
> </head>
> testing
>
> If I set encoding to "detect automatically" then the validator selects
> utf-8 as the encoding despite the fact that I have set a meta tag declaring
> it as iso-8859-1.
>
> If I set the encoding to iso-8859-1, then the validator issues a warning
> that I'm overriding the detected character encoding of utf-8.

There is no server http header for content-type, which is why it is
defaulting to utf8 (as is expected) when no encoding type is known. When you
tell it what to use, it is warning you...basically it is ignore the meta
tag.

Oddly enough, this has come up several times in the past...the local html
meta tag does *not* override the server headers, contrary to popular belief.

If someone else has a different opinion, I'd like to see some real
example/reference where the meta tag *does* override server header in the
browser.

--
Anthony Ettinger
Ph: 408-656-2473