Re: Meta Character Encoding Not Detected

On Wed, 2007-11-21 at 10:19 +0100, Andreas Prilop wrote:
> On Tue, 20 Nov 2007, Email Reply wrote:
>
> > [...] the validator should not detect any character encoding
> > and should respond as if the server had not sent any type of
> > encoding information.
>
> The server must specify an encoding (charset parameter)
> according to RFC 2616.
>
> > [...] the validator should use the encoding of the program
>
> What the heck is "the encoding of the program"?

I sometimes refer to HTML coding as a program as you are programming the
computer to perform a task.  I should I have said HTML code.

> For real webpages (instead of uploads to the validator),
> specify the encoding (charset parameter) in the HTTP header:
>  http://www.w3.org/International/O-HTTP-charset

>  http://www.unics.uni-hannover.de/nhtcapri/meta-http-equiv.1
>  http://www.unics.uni-hannover.de/nhtcapri/meta-http-equiv.2

Thank you for the links, they are very helpful.  There was also a good
article at http://www.w3.org/International/tutorials/tutorial-char-enc/
which explains why every document should also contain encoding
information in the code besides also sending it in the header.

I appreciate the responses as my original intent was not to get in a
discussion, but to submit a bug.

I will suggest that since it is impossible to send a header with the
code which is uplooaded to the validator, then the validator should
provide a means of validating code which is not utf-8 encoded and not
issue any warning or error message, but treat the code as if it was sent
with the selected header information.  The selection of the encoding is
available after a validation has been performed; but if a warning is
issued instead of saying that the "detected character encoding ... has
been suppressed", it should say something to the effect that this
validation requires that the selected encoding be present in the header
when the page is served.  When I saw that the "detected character
coding ... has been suppressed" message I began trying to figure how I
was allowing the validator to "detect" utf-8 as the encoding.

Thanks again for all who took the time to reply.