Re: [Bug] "HTML 4.01 Strict" doctype check

From: Goulven Guillard <lecotegougdelaforce@free.fr>
Date: Fri, 09 Nov 2007 20:02:00 +0100
To: www-validator@w3.org

Le 11/09/2007 07:36 PM, olivier Thereaux a déclaré :
> On Nov 7, 2007, at 14:08 , Goulven Guillard wrote:
>> So, here it is : when validating a strict html 4.01 webpage with the
>> validator "doctype" field set to "autodetect", the validation works
>> fine. However, when trying to validate the same webpage with this field
>> set to "HTML 4.01 Strict", you get a "doctype overwrite" issue
>
> I don't think there is any issue. This is the expected and documented
> behavior when you use doctype override:
> http://validator.w3.org/docs/users.html#Options
>
> Is there anything in the behavior or documentation that you would not
> expect and/or would suggest to be clarified or changed?

Mmmh... The documentation seems reasonable, however :

- the link to this documentation appears in the "Options" box, at which
the doctype and the encoding fields do not belong to. This is
misleading, since I did not find this documentation when looking for an
explanation of the issue.

- I understand the warning as "you HAVE TO modify your doctype !!!". In
my opinion it would be better either not to overwrite if the document
doctype and the specified overwriting doctype are equivalent, or to
precise, within the warning, not to take into account this warning if
both are the same.

Here were my two cents. :-)

--
    ~~
   |Oo|   La banquise fond !!! Adoptez un pingouin...
  /|\/|\
   |__|		=> http://www.whylinuxisbetter.net/index_fr.php
   ^__^		=> http://www.ubuntu-fr.org/