Re: extensions

Hello,

William Breathitt Gray wrote:

> Is the file extension "xhtml" required, as part of the xhtml strict
> specifications?
>
> Examples:
>
> anyfile.htm
> somepage.html
> markup.xhtml
>
> Is "markup.xhtml" the only item in the list which is xhtml strict
> compliant? Or is the extension not important?

There are no constraits on the suffix, you are free to choose any filename.
More correctly any URI, when we are talking about the web - as long as the
URI is valid, which is beyond the scope of the (X)HTML specs.

The content-type is important. For XHTML documents it must be
application/xhtml+xml (or text/html, if is it XHTML 1.0 App. C conforming).
If you are using static files on your webserver and no special server
configuration, then the server will probably send 'application/xhtml+xml'
only for .xhtml files. Thus, if anyfile.htm contains XHTML 1.1, it would
end up invalid. But this could easily be changed without changing the URI
by tuning the server config.

HTH

--
Benjamin Niemann