Re: Possible validator bug with JavaScript

From: olivier Thereaux <ot@w3.org>
Date: Tue, 8 May 2007 17:40:12 -0400
Cc: www-validator@w3.org
To: shen@cse.ust.hk

Hi Vincent,

On May 8, 2007, at 13:54 , shen@cse.ust.hk wrote:
> The attached HTML file should be valid, but the validator
> reached into the JavaScript literal and found a problem,
> when there is none. Sample code is attached for your testing.

The problem which the validator spotted is a common issue with
creating valid markup when using javascript in a certain way,
especially with document.write(). The error message given by the
validator points to the following FAQ:
which itself mentions the HTML specification:

> I think the validator should skip JavaScript code completely,
> unless it has a built-in JavaScript interpretor.

This is not for us to decide, the validator is merely following the
specifications, here.