Possible validator bug with JavaScript

From: <shen@cse.ust.hk>
Date: Wed, 9 May 2007 01:54:20 +0800 (HKT)
To: www-validator@w3.org
Cc: shen@cse.ust.hk
Dear Ted,

I asked about the HTML validator problem at the AC meeting.

The attached HTML file should be valid, but the validator
reached into the JavaScript literal and found a problem,
when there is none. Sample code is attached for your testing.

I have fixed the code to get around the problem (see
http://course.cs.ust.hk/comp101/slides/JS_Hello.htm)

This get around is difficult to explain to students.

I think the validator should skip JavaScript code completely,
unless it has a built-in JavaScript interpretor.

Thanks for your consideration.

-Vincent