RE: http-equiv="refresh" redirects ignored in markup validator

From: Jukka K. Korpela <jkorpela@cs.tut.fi>
Date: Tue, 1 May 2007 13:35:19 +0300 (EEST)
To: Kati <kati.pe@comhem.se>
cc: www-validator@w3.org

On Tue, 1 May 2007, Kati wrote:

> It would be nice if the validator just took a glance at the META refresh
> directive.

No, that would be quite incorrect. A validator is supposed to check the
conformance of a document against the DTD it purports to comply with.
Nothing more, nothing less. It is quite agnostic about the meaning of any
element.

> If for no other reason, then that it would give me some kind of
> argument to fix this page to work with FireFox as well:

Why would META refresh "directives" matter?

> http://www.ambk.se/index.html

That's quite an impressive demonstration of foolish meta tags, but the
values of attributes of such elements should be of no interest to a
validator. We might make concessions to meta tags specifying the character
encoding, when the encoding cannot be decided on the basis of HTTP
headers.