Re: Bug Report

On Tue, 1 May 2007, Information - Abyss wrote:

> I am not sure if this is a bug or not in the validator

It's not.

> <object type="application/x-shockwave-flash" data="Hello.swf">"
> width="680px" height="250px">

There is formally nothing wrong with this. Anything after the first ">" is
content in the <object> element, which has a fairly permissive content
model. The interpretation is not what was meant, but that's a different
issue.

> (the item was passed into the xhtml via a value and not handcoded)

That doesn't affect validation. I suppose you explained this to describe
the background of the mistake. A mistake it is, but not a reportable
markup error.

> you will notice an extra > in the data field...this caused an error in
> the way it was displayed but the page still validated

There is no extra ">" in the data attribute value, since that value is
terminated by a quotation mark.

The effect in practice is that the content of the <object> element is
ignored by any browser that implements the embedding suggested by that
element (since its content is by definition just fallback content for
situation where the embedding does not take place), but naturally the
width and the height of the object presentation area will be defaulted,
since the element has no width and height attributes. This might mean
using a width and height of zero - a common though clueless browser
default.

Perhaps the real page has something slightly different, but we cannot
tell: you did not provide a URL.

Note that if you remove the two characters "> at the end of the first
line, making
width="680px" height="250px"
attributes of the <object> element, as you probably meant, these
attributes are valid but definitely incorrect. That is, they comply with
the syntax given in the Document Type Definition, but they violate the
requirements posed in the normative prose of HTML specifications. Use
width="680" height="250"
instead.