Re: Validator doesn't send HTTP_ACCEPT headers, "Conflict between Mime Type and Document Type" warning is incorrect.

Am 31.07.2007 um 16:55 schrieb Gez Lemon:

>> * if accept headers present, and application/xhtml+xml not accepted,
>> send text/html
>> * else, send application/xhtml+xml
>
> It is sane, and possible to do.

Of course, this would be sane. But how to translate into a working
solution *without* asking the client's (in this case the valdator's)
accept header?
Any suggestion? Any algorithm out there (for PHP or JSP or other
frameworks) does rely on the browser's accept header and asks for the
*existance* of "application/xhtml+xml" in the accept header of the
client.
I, so far, have never seen any working solution, which asks for the
*non-existance* of  "application/xhtml+xml". All implementations of
the algorithm cited, I have seen so far, do ask for the *existance*
of "application/xhtml+xml".
So, how would you implement the *opposite* of that, if you have
requesting user agents, which provide an empty accept header string
or provide a meaningful "*" as the Internet Explorer does?

> The rest seems to be concerned with
> encouraging the validator team to include an accept header, which I
> don't feel strongly about one way or the other.

That's the point, Gez. That's the point. Not the theoretical
algorithm drafted by Oliver (and nodded through you and me and maybe
many others) above -- how do you implement such algorithm *without*
asking the client's accept header?
I am very curious and would be very happy about a working solution. I
haven't found one yet so far. Maybe you?

Sierk
--
Sierk Bornemann
email:            sierkb@gmx.de