Re: Validator doesn't send HTTP_ACCEPT headers, "Conflict between Mime Type and Document Type" warning is incorrect.

Am 31.07.2007 um 15:38 schrieb Andreas Prilop:

> Compare the content - they *are* different.
> HTML and XHTML are different.

Except the Doctype, the html namespace and the adequate Mimetype
(served Content type) -- where are the the differences concerning the
*content*, especially concerning the markup elements and the semantics?
All three -- doctype, html namespace and content type are different,
because to differ between HTML and XHTML, neither more nor less.

>> But not for sites with many content files. It is far from practise,
>> to provide all content files twice as .html and also as .xhtml files.
>
> That would be a silly idea. When you have a single document, you
> serve it with the appropriate MIME type.

As you proved above with your own documents, you serve it twice. And,
more difficult, you have to provide it twice on the server.
As I said before, a passable method to serve one or two single
documents. But what about dynamically served and maybe frequently
changed documents? What about documents generated by a Content
Management System or Blog?
You have to provide each document twice as .html document and
as .xhtml document? That's far from practise, Andreas! And it would
be very difficult and hard to maintain changes to that kind of
documents (each change to the content has to be twice in a .html
document an in an .xhtml document), if you want to use XHTML 1.1 or
even XHTML 1.0 Strict (remember, for XHTML 1.0 Strict, servng
application/xhtml+xml is *recommended* over txt/html, it is a
*SHOULD* over a *MAY*).

>> You need a method, to serve the MIMEtype dynamically for *one single
>> document* depending on what the client accepts.
>
> No, this is just a silly idea. You choose the correct MIME type
> according to your document.

Andreas, you talk nonsense concerning that, you should know better.
See above.

Sierk
--
Sierk Bornemann