Re: What happend to http://validator.w3.org/check/referer ?

From: olivier Thereaux <ot@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2007 13:14:04 +0900
Cc: www-validator@w3.org
To: Gerald Pfeifer <gerald@pfeifer.com>

Hello Gerald.

Thanks for your report.

On Jul 25, 2007, at 19:37 , Gerald Pfeifer wrote:
> I am afraid the introduction of "Markup Validator 0.8.0" broke the
> very useful
>   http://validator.w3.org/check/referer
> link.

Indeed.

The issue came more from a bug (?) in the otherwise excellent
mod_perl2 apache module, which we're using to improve the validator's
speed. I patched the validator to work around the issue. The patch
has been put on the production validator just now.

>   All I get from this know is
>
>   404 Not Found
>
>   The requested URL /check/referer was not found on this server.
>
> I hope this is a temporary glitch and this useful service will be
> back up
> soon again?

Yes, it was a temporary glitch.

Apologies for the disturbance, the upgrade to the new validator has
been a bit of a rough ride, in spite of months of preliminary
testing. We're still ironing out hardware issues, as our servers are
struggling with the wave of validation by people curious to check
their sites against the new validator.

Thank you,
--
olivier