Re: checklink: Meaning of 401 "What to do" is unclear

From: olivier Thereaux <ot@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2007 11:11:34 +0900
Cc: www-validator@w3.org
To: John Boyer <boyerj@ca.ibm.com>

Hi John,

On Jul 18, 2007, at 08:07 , John Boyer wrote:
> Trying to prepare a proposed edited rec.  In order to pass
> pubrules, one must include a link to "myQuestionnaires" (http://
> www.w3.org/2002/09/wbs/myQuestionnaires) so AC reps can easily get
> to the questionnaire about the PER.
>
> But link checker gets a 401 on this link, and the "What to do"
> message says "You better specify it."

For reference:
[[ The link is not public. You'd better specify it. ]]
The message wording is awkward indeed.
Note the color-coding that suggests this is informational - it could
be improved, do you have any suggestion?

I would suggest the following wording
[[ This resource appears to be password-protected. You may want to
mention it on your page linking to it. ]]

>  Please specify what I should do differently to make this message
> go away, or at least what I should do to address this message
> properly.

I am not aware of any particular markup that would inform machines
that a link leads to a password-protected resource, so the suggestion
is one of human check. If you think your link clearly states that the
resource needs authentication, or do not want to take care of it, the
(informational) message can be ignored.

Regards,
--
olivier