Re: Validating XHTML straight from the site

From: Rui del-Negro <w3validator@dvd-hq.info>
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2007 06:52:10 -0000
To: www-validator@w3.org

> On Mon, 26 Feb 2007 14:32:11 -0000,
> AOE media GmbH - Kian T. Gould <gould@aoemedia.de> wrote:
>
> Tonight I had an idea for a relative simple script that would be really
> great to use on any clients website, interested in the W3C Validity of
> their site.
>
> My idea was to create a little button like we find it on so many sites
> proclaiming W3C validity but instead of it just linking to the W3C
> Validator and then showing the results of the check in a new window I
> would like it to work with AJAX and to do a direct checkup on
> validator.w3c.org and show a green icon, this site is valid XHTML 1.0
> Transitional with a date and time (does everyone get what I mean?). I
> think this would be a great little tool for any website.

You mean do a validation when people _click_ on the icon, right, not every
time a page is served? That would be a huge waste of bandwidth, not to
mention the load on the W3's servers. :)

Yes, on one hand the idea of having just the icon change is visually
pleasing, but it doesn't inspire as much confidence as actually seeing a
confirmation from the validator's URL (i.e., an icon changing colour is
very easy to fake locally).

RMN
~~~