Re: LogValidator on OS X

From: Elliotte Harold <elharo@metalab.unc.edu>
Date: Thu, 01 Feb 2007 14:55:28 -0500
To: Elliotte Harold <elharo@metalab.unc.edu>
CC: olivier Thereaux <ot@w3.org>, www-validator Community <www-validator@w3.org>

Elliotte Harold wrote:

> I got as far as XML::Parser but that complained:
>
> cpan> install XML::Parser
> Running install for module XML::Parser
> Running make for M/MS/MSERGEANT/XML-Parser-2.34.tar.gz
>   Is already unwrapped into directory
> /Users/elharo/.cpan/build/XML-Parser-2.34
>   Makefile.PL returned status 512, won't make
> Running make test
>   Make had some problems, won't test
> Running make install
>   Make had some problems, won't install

Trying this manually the problem seems to be a missing expat:

cpan> look XML::Parser
Running look for module XML::Parser

Trying to open a subshell in the build directory...
Working directory is /Users/elharo/.cpan/build/XML-Parser-2.34
~/.cpan/build/XML-Parser-2.34# perl Makefile.pl
Note (probably harmless): No library found for -lexpat

Expat must be installed prior to building XML::Parser and I can't find
it in the standard library directories. You can download expat from:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/expat/

If expat is installed, but in a non-standard directory, then use the
following options to Makefile.PL:

     EXPATLIBPATH=...  To set the directory in which to find libexpat

     EXPATINCPATH=...  To set the directory in which to find expat.h

For example:

     perl Makefile.PL EXPATLIBPATH=/home/me/lib
EXPATINCPATH=/home/me/include

Note that if you build against a shareable library in a non-standard
location
you may (on some platforms) also have to set your LD_LIBRARY_PATH
environment
variable at run time for perl to find the library.

I'll see if I can fix that.

Java I/O 2nd Edition Just Published!