Re: [VE][79] Validator is showing wrong error message

From: Drake Wilson <drake@begriffli.ch>
Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2007 16:28:19 -0500
To: cooldude666666@googlemail.com
Cc: www-validator@w3.org

On Tue, Aug 21, 2007 at 01:30:29AM +0530, Cool Dude wrote:
>  Validating http://leg.110mb.com/contact/onConsult/ Error [79]: "end tag for
> element X which is not open"
>
> Hi,
>    As specified above automatically by the feedback page, the validator says
> that there is an end tag("</p>") for which there is no starting tag even
> when the page has a start tag just five lines above. This opening "<p>" tag
> is even shown in the source of the page displayed by validator. I do not
> understand this. Please check this error.

HTML 4.01 Transitional does not permit nesting a FORM inside a P, so
opening the FORM implicitly closes the P, at least if I'm thinking of
the SGML semantics right.  Then there's a </P>, but the P is already gone.

Which markup style are you attempting to use, anyway?  You should add a
DOCTYPE declaration to the top of your document declaring one, as per the
other message that the validator gives you.

> Thanking you in anticipation.
> Cool

   ---> Drake Wilson