Re: -//W3C/DTD XHTML gives no error in Markup validator 0.80 ?

Hi Marc, Hi Phillip,

On Sun, Aug 12, 2007, Nikita The Spider The Spider wrote:
> One way to get around this would be to deliver a catalog of commonly
> used DTDs along with your extension. Your entension could then use its
> private, local catalog for most validations. That would make it faster
> (because it wouldn't have to fetch DTDs from w3.org) and would also
> enable it to be used offline.

Absolutely, especially if the extension has no cache mechanism, I would
very strongly recommend either implementing one (maybe using firefox's
cache?) or use a catalog. Not only would it make things faster for you,
it would also save www.w3.org tons of uselessly redundant requests.

> The disadvantage is that it would
> increase the installation footprint of your extension. I have a
> catalog like this for my OpenSP-based validator and it occupies about
> 3.2M.

The one distributed with the validator is 4M once untarred, but only
500k archived:
http://validator.w3.org/sgml-lib.tar.gz
I think the licensing terms would allow you to distribute the sgml-lib
with your extension.
--
olivier