Re: Validator case-sensitive bug for CHARSET?

From: David Dorward <david@dorward.me.uk>
Date: Tue, 7 Aug 2007 14:12:11 +0100
To: www-validator@w3.org

On 7 Aug 2007, at 13:52, Andreas Prilop wrote:
> On Tue, 7 Aug 2007, Ernest Unrau wrote:
>> No HTML tags are case-sensitive, but it may indeed be that the
>> CHARSET
>> parameter must be case sensitive since I'm told that the META tags
>> are
>> mimicking HTML headers. Perhaps the servers that parse these
>> headers are
>> also case sensitive?
>
> No server parses any <meta> tag.

Not true. http://apache.lexa.ru/english/meta-http-eng.html

Not true. While most servers may ignore it, it is quite useful for
documents which are not served over HTTP.

> Especially, you cannot set the Content-Type with such a meta fake:
> http://www.unics.uni-hannover.de/nhtcapri/meta-http-equiv.1
> http://www.unics.uni-hannover.de/nhtcapri/meta-http-equiv.2

The issue being discussed is character encoding, not content type.

> RFC 2616 requires that you specify the encoding (charset parameter)
> in the HTTP header.

Which section of that specification makes this requirement?

--
David Dorward
http://dorward.me.uk/