Re: Validator Test

From: David Dorward <david@dorward.me.uk>
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2007 08:17:20 +0100
To: Greg Sabin <movingpictures4u@yahoo.com>
CC: drake@begriffli.ch, cewcathar@hotmail.com, www-validator@w3.org

Greg Sabin wrote:
> It would be nice if they had made the current validator to work with all
> web sites before attempting to make a new one , I notice that the XHTML
> validator will find errors in XHTML web sites using subscript ,
> superscript , and HTML box's that display's HTML or a I-Frame linked to
> a java based flash player ,

The purpose of the validator is to compare markup against the standard.
It does this using a DTD.

The purpose of a browser is to render webpages. They perform a great
deal of error correction and support a great deal of legacy code.

Are you suggesting that instead of testing against the standard, the
validator should compare the markup to the error correction routines and
bugs of every browser on the planet?

--
David Dorward                               <http://dorward.me.uk/>