Re: [VE][63] Character data is not allowed here extended error message text

From: Jukka K. Korpela <jkorpela@cs.tut.fi>
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2007 09:50:53 +0300 (EEST)
To: www-validator@w3.org

On Mon, 16 Apr 2007, David Dorward wrote:

>   Mistakes that can cause this error include:
- -
>  <li>putting text directly in the body of the document without wrapping
>      it in a container element (such as a &lt;p&gt;aragraph&lt;/p&gt;),

For HTML documents - which is what the example apparently relates to - the
example applies to Strict versions only. Moreover, "container element" is
not really a suitable wording, since using e.g. a <span>...</span> wrapper
won't help. And "<p>aragraph</p>" is too jargon-like to my taste in this
context. Moreover, it contributes to the common misconception of the p
element as a general-purpose container.

I'd suggest the following:

<li>putting text directly inside the body element in HTML 4.01 Strict or
XHTML 1.0 Strict, which require that all text inside body be wrapped
in a block-level container (such as div or p element)</li>

>  <li>forgetting to quote an attribute value (where characters such as
>      "%" and "/" are common, but cannot appear without surrounding
>       quotes), or

Technically, for SGML documents, this depends on the SGML declaration,
which may allow additional characters (such as "%") as name characters. I
know this is pretty theoretical, since few people use the markup validator
to validate real SGML documents.