Re: Validating Flash files

Hello Henri,

This discussion is getting on the verge of "off-topic", but I found
your comments, or rather, the conclusions you seemed to imply, worrying.

On Sep 19, 2006, at 21:03 , Henri Sivonen wrote:
>> Don't use the proprietary <embed> tag. There's an excellent
>> article at "A List Apart" with the solution you need: http://
>> www.alistapart.com/articles/byebyeembed
>
> Which is more important: spec-wise purity or real-world accessibility?
> http://weblogs.macromedia.com/accessibility/archives/2005/08/
> in_search_of_a.cfm

These two are not mutually exclusive, are they?

I would argue that compliance to specs is, to a large extent, a good
path toward real-world accessibility.

 From the document you quote above, I don't read "spec-compliant
methods (such as satay) are bad", I read that there are several spec-
compliant solutions which work with almost all the user agents. (e.g
"The satay method is good in every way analyzed in this study, but
unfortunately JAWS ignores Flash embedded in this way.") I hope your
conclusion, as is mine, is not that the specs are broken as soon as
one implementation gets it wrong, but rather that the situation is
pretty good when only one implementation needs fixing for a solution
based on a standard to work across all user agents.

Thanks,
--
olivier