Re: [VE][108] Error Message: XHTML Role Attribute

Masayasu Ishikawa wrote:
> Martin Kliehm wrote:
>
>> Validating http://www.hateparade.org/2006/en/
>> Error [108]: "there is no attribute 'role'"
>>
>> This website uses an implementation of the XHTML 1.1 Role Attribute
>> Module 1.0, alas the validator does not read the DTD properly
>
> I suppose the validator did read the DTD. [...]
> Which is not strange, as the comment in the DTD module says, the XHTML
> Role Attribute Module does nothing.  You need to define the role attribute
> where you need it by yourself.

Thanks for the confirmation. I asked that at the www-html and
www-html-editor list
(http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-html-editor/2006JulSep/0132):

   Some irritating aspect of xhtml-role-1.mod was "XHTML Role Attribute
   Module does nothing, since role is not incorporated in any elements
   content model as part of this module" - is that the reason for the
   validation failure? If it's not incorporated in any elements content
   model here, where is it then? xhtml-role-qname-1.mod is also vague
   about this.

Steven Pemberton's reply was
(http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-html-editor/2006JulSep/0133):

   The W3C validator doesn't validate according to extended DTDs, only a
   fixed number of standard DTDs. So that would explain why it
   complained. You could try validating using some other system.

So Steven says the DTD is alright, but the validator is broken. You
confirm my assumption that the validator is working properly, but the
DTD is yet undefined.

Shouldn't the role attribute be defined by the official W3C Role
Attribute Module DTD? Of course I could extend my DTD, but I suppose
that's the role of xhtml-role-1.mod, i.e. the XHTML Working Group, so it
is standardized.

Perhaps there's just a misunderstanding that needs to be solved between
you and Steven to get a solution for this issue?

>> See also
>>
>>    http://www.hateparade.org/dtd/xhtml-target-role.dtd
>
> An XML DTD MUST NOT be served as text/xml, it SHOULD use application/xml-dtd.

Thanks for the advice, I'll fix that asap.

Best regards,
   Martin